Sunday, July 19, 2009

DEVELOPING A HAPPY MARRIAGE: It's Just Not Good!


Some people who read the title of my blog my think that I am saying that many marriages are just not good! They may think that I am going to talk about how hard and difficult it is to develop happy marriages. But I am not. Read the verse below and you will understand what I mean by the phrase, "It's Just Not Good."

"The Lord God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him' ... For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh. The man and his wife
were both naked, and they felt no shame."

Genesis 2:18,24 (NIV)

Whenever I get frustrated with being married I begin to remind myself why I am married. I am married because this woman whom I love very deeply, even though I get frustrated with her, makes me feel happy and satisfied. When I'm alone ... well let's just say, "It's just not good."

Whenever I get frustrated about something in my marriage I think back and remember what it is like to wake up in the morning, rollover in my bed and begin to snuggle with my beautiful wife of nearly thirty years. I think about how content I am, how satisfied she makes me feel, and how happy I am. Then I think about what it would be like to wake up in that big bed and rollover to find no one there. That image of being alone with no one to share life with saddens me and quickly reminds me why I work so hard at my marriage. It is because: IT'S JUST NOT GOOD TO BE ALONE.

That desire for a strong and intimate companionship propels me to work at making my marriage, with my wife, the happiest that it could possibly be. So when you begin to get frustrated with your spouse just remember it could be a whole lot worse, you could be all alone and have no one to share this life with. AND THAT'S JUST NOT GOOD!


2 comments:

  1. Jay - I would like to thank you for telling everyone that a good Marriage is worth working toward. I have recently read "Love Life for Every Married Couple" (in fact I've read it several times in the last couple of months). The only thing more worthy of all our time and energy is God! I appreciate the confirmation that I was making a mistake by considering divorcing my husband. He is a gift from God and should be treated as such. I would have disobeyed the Lord and also been alone. AND THAT'S JUST NOT GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the great philosopher said (speaking about being single or married) which ever path you take you will be sorry. But I agree a marriage worked at in Christ's love is very rewarding and fulfilling and for me the better path.

    Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.
    Prov. 18:22

    ReplyDelete